Welcome to our Real Estate Developer Resource Center for investing and developing inside Qualified Opportunity Zones.
Below the map are resources curated for the use of real estate investors and developers including official sources, downloadable documents, other portals/hubs, recent news, and discussion threads. We have marked potentially negative coverage (from the perspective of investors and developers) where appropriate to ensure you are aware of potential roadblocks and opposition. At this time, we endeavor to only cover national news.
Click the map below to open an interactive map and review Qualified Opportunity Zones throughout the United States.
The box in the upper-right corner of the map allows you to quickly enter an address to see if it falls within a Census Tract designated as a Qualified Opportunity Zone.
Clicking on a specific Census Tract will open a popup window showing you information about the type of Qualified Opportunity Zone, the Census Tract information, as well as demographic data such as population, population density, number of households, average household size, and occupancy (total housing units, vacant units, owner-occupied units, occupied rental units).
Charts are shown in each popup window for occupancy and population data.
Below the map are other resources for exploring Opportunity Zones as well as recent news stories. We will keep this page up-to-date, so make sure to bookmark this page and check back often.
- Map of Opportunity Zones in the Tampa Bay area including property appraiser parcel data (more markets coming)
- Map of Opportunity Zones in Student Housing markets across the country
Opportunity Zone Resources
- Implementation of Opportunity Zones has been delegated to the IRS by the US Department of the Treasury’s Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI) Fund.
- Download a Microsoft Excel file of the designated Qualified Opportunity Zones (QOZs)
- Read the IRS Revenue Procedure describing the eligibility criteria for census tract designation as a Qualified Opportunity Zone.
- Review the Official CDFI website for Opportunity Zones
- IRS has released Opportunity Zones FAQ
- IRS has released guidance for investors in Qualified Opportunity Funds
- Read the original legislation for the Investing in Opportunity Act
- Kilpatrick Townsend – Opportunity Zones White Paper
- Bloomberg Tax – Opportunity Zone Programs: Overview and FAQs
- Brookings Institution – Learning from Opportunity Zones: How to improve place-based policies (Potentially negative coverage — Read to be prepared)
Opportunity Zone Portals/Hubs
- Economic Innovation Group
- Enterprise Community Loan Fund
- Novogradac & Company
- Council of Development Finance Agencies
- Holland & Knight
- Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Recent News about Opportunity Zones
- The Wall Street Journal (11/14/18) – Rich Investors Eye Tax-Favored Development Funds
- Financial Advisor IQ (11/13/18) – “Roth IRA for the Rich” Could Erase Capital Gains Tax Liabilities — and Family Offices are Loving It
- Kilpatrick Townsend @ Lexology (11/12/18) – 11 Key Features of the Opportunity Zone Program that You Might Have Overlooked
- EquityMultiple @ Equities.com (11/12/18) – Opportunity Funds + Real Estate: A Match Made in Heaven
- Barrons (11/10/18) – Why “Qualified Opportunity Zones” May Be the Next Hot Thing in Investing
- The Hill (11/10/18) – Don’t Rob ‘Opportunity Zones’ of Their Full Potential (Potentially negative coverage — Read to be prepared)
- CATO Institute (11/9/18) – Opportunity Zones Enrich Lucky Landowners (Potentially negative coverage — Read to be prepared)
- The New York Times (11/9/18) – A Big Tax Break for Socially Responsible Investing
- Forbes (10/24/18) – Opportunity Zone Investments for Family Offices: Where are the ‘Good’ Deals?
- The Wall Street Journal (10/23/18) – OPINION: Opportunity Is Coming to a City Near You (Author Steve Glickman interviewed on a podcast about Opportunity Zones)
- The Wall Street Journal (10/23/18) – Developers Look to Hit Tax-Break ‘Jackpot’ in Opportunity Zones
- Forbes (10/23/18) – IRS Proposes Generous Rules For Opportunity Zone Investors, But What Will They Mean for Communities?
- Affordable Housing Finance (10/23/18) – IRS Provides Guidance on Opportunity Zones
- The Real Deal (10/23/18) – Sales of sites in Opportunity Zones up 80%
- Bisnow (10/22/18) – Things To Know About The New Opportunity Zone Guidelines
- HousingWire (10/22/18) – Trump administration unveils new rules for Opportunity Zones
- GlobeSt (10/22/18) – “Positive” Rules For Opportunity Zones Released
- Reddit – Opportunity Zones
- Wall Street Oasis – Opportunity Zones
- Wall Street Oasis – Opportunity Zone Rules Released
DISCLAIMER: NONE OF THE ABOVE LINKS ARE MEANT AS ENDORSEMENTS OF THE HOSTING SITES, BROWSE EXTERNAL LINKS AT YOUR OWN RISK